Spot Prawn Ha Gow
Makes 16 pieces
1 lb. BC Spot Prawns
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated on a micro-plane grater
¼ cup green onions, finely diced
¼ cup water chestnuts, minced*
1 Tbsp. sesame oil*
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce*
Freshly ground pepper
1 package ha gow flour*
½ cup red vinegar*
½ cup mirin*
1 Tbsp. cilantro, chiffonaded
Bamboo steaming basket
- Peel prawns and using a small knife, split each prawn in half lengthways along the back and remove the intestinal tract.
- Using a cleaver, dice the prawns into large chunks, then smear them on the chopping board with the side of the cleaver.Chop finely (or if you don’t have a cleaver, mince them very fine).
- Place minced prawns in a mixing bowl and add ginger, green onions, water chestnuts, sesame oil, oyster sauce and pepper and green onions.
- Mix well until the ingredients bind together.
- Make up the ha gow flour into a dough as per the directions on the packet.
- Make sure your working space is well oiled and knead the dough until it becomes shiny and not sticky.
- Separate the dough into half ounce chunks and roll out each dough chunk very thinly, until it almost becomes translucent.
- Cut out a round of the dough using a 10cm pastry cutter to make each ha gow wrapper.
- Place a large spoonful of the prawn mixture into the centre of the wrapper.
- Fold one side over to touch the other, roll onto its back and crimp the edges together to seal.
- Steam for 6 minutes in a bamboo steamer basket.
- Combine the red vinegar, mirin and cilantro in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Serve on the side with the ha gow.
*available in Asian food stores or the Asian food section of larger supermarkets